Friday, November 21, 2003

Take it with a grain of salt

A version of this anti-Atkins diet news release may have appeared in your local paper; it appeared in ours. Now, I am not defending the Atkins diet, but it is frequently painted with the same broad "low carb" brush as my beloved South Beach Diet. I think it's important to know that the author of the news release is the somewhat inaccurately named "Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine", an adamantly pro-animal rights nonprofit organization. The agenda behind the news release is the protection of animals and the promotion of vegetarianism, not preserving the health of our human society. How did I know? I used to be a PCRM supporter and subscriber; I was vegetarian for a third of my life. While I still support animal rights, I have fallen off the vegetarian wagon and eat poultry (free range when available) and fish. So take the article with a grain of salt, and perhaps some low-carb sugar substitute.

No comments: