Monday, December 01, 2003

Do-do-do-do-Dora

My 14-month-old son has two loves in his life: me, and Dora The Explorer. Not necessarily in that order. This bundle of energy, the boy with 42 hands all reaching for things at the same time, will stop in his tracks and gaze at his sister's Dora The Explorer book, cooing "Do-dah ..." and pointing at her with his stubby thumb. Foolish is the parent who tries to turn the page. Today I was wrapping Christmas gifts (heh heh, hate me yet?) while his 3-year old sister napped. One of her gifts is a Dora towel with a Swiper the Fox washcloth (Target, about $12). He was delighted to see me pull it out of the bag with the red bullseyes and oohed and aahed over it. Then came the wrapping paper. Mommy was going to cover Dora! Do-Dah! Do-Dah! His howls of protest gave way to angry tears, and the commotion woke his sleepy sibling. Note to self: Wrap gifts when BOTH children are sleeping.

No comments: