Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Jenerations

A little over a week ago, we were invited to join some friends on the last day of Hannukah for a cocktail party and candle lighting. It was a fun, loud, festive event, attended by lots of famlies with small children and infants. I really enjoyed seeing the holiday first-hand, and was honored to have been invited. The hostess actually helped us decorate our Christmas tree last year, so I suppose it was partially return for the show-and-tell.
We got home late, for us anyway, past the wee hour of 8:00 p.m., and the kids were wired from being up past their bedtime. My husband and I both went upstairs to team-change the baby for bed, as he can be the Screaming Child With 900 Flailing Arms and Legs when he is overtired. Midway through the change, we heard my daughter crying downstairs, really wailing, which is unlike her. My husband ran down and found her bleeding from her lip. She had been jumping off her sugar-cookie-past-bedtime high on the sofa and hit the window sill. She is 3 years old. I think this was the third time I have seen her bleed.
We did fairly well, my husband and I, getting her calmed down and sucking on an ice cube in a cloth. I ventured to look at it - eeeyew. I am not big on blood. Fortunately for me, my mom was a nurse, and is used to calls like this from me:
"Hello?"
"Mom. She fell and hit her lip and it's really bleeding and I don't know whether to take her to the emergency room and there's all this blood and she's crying and - "
"How long ago?"
"Two minutes."
Seemingly interminable pause. "Is she crying now?"
I listen. "No."
"Is it still bleeding?"
I look. "No."
"Is the lip hanging in two pieces?"
"No."
"Then she doesn't need stitches, don't take her to the emergency room, she will only pick up something there and get sick for real."


"Thanks Mom."


She was right, the lip was fine. My mom is always right. When will my daughter's mom always be right?

No comments: